[linux-audio-user] snd freezes when recording

Ivan Z. Ganza ivan_ganza at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 16:36:01 EST 2003

Ralf,

Would you describe your desktop?  Is it booting into kde, gnome,
etc..?

Even after a clean boot, say if you are in kde, it may grab the
soundcard on you.  (I had to go into sound config and tell the
soundserver to 'suspend' after 5 seconds of inactivity.  By default it
sets to something like 60 seconds or never, in which case, it would
keep the card happily locked forever...) -- this is specific to kde.

Try to open the card manually from the command with the snippet of ruby
code below.  If this just freezes and never comes back then the
soundcard is being held by something else...

-Ivan/

----
#!/usr/local/bin/ruby -w

f = File.new("/dev/dsp", "r+")