[linux-audio-user] Audio file format

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Mon Mar 31 15:43:01 EST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:16:44 +0200
Robert Epprecht <epprecht at solnet.ch> wrote:

> I thought WAVE was a format without compression? The duration of the files
> (when played by 'play') shows that this is not possible. So what is it?

WAV files allow for about 100 different kinds of compression as well as
PCM encoding. Microsoft ADPCM is one of the more common compression types.

> BTW: The file (loaded like a text file in emacs ;-) starts with
>      RIFFBä^BWAVEfmt 2  (where ^B is *one* byte)

If you grab and install libsndfile:

     http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/

You will find an example program called 'sndfile-info' which prints out
information about a sndfile.

Erik