[linux-audio-user] Audio file format

Nick nicktsocanos at charter.net
Mon Mar 31 16:42:00 EST 2003

A WAV RIFF will have in it's header a tag that indicates there is a
compressor used, and maybe additional information for the compressor (called
a CB or compressor block) that follows the header. There are a lot of
different types of compressors it can use, you can find it in the Windows
header file somewhere (mmreg.h I think?). You need a CODEC to uncode most of
them.

ADPCM means Adaptive Differential encoding. There is another type called
Mu-Law encoding. ADPCM works by storing differences between samples that
change. It doesn't lose any of the sound information. MP3 and OGG lose
information (well, I think they throw it away on purpose, which is why they
get better compression ratios). Once you lose that information though it is
gone forever. I don't think there is any way to get it back again. You can
notice it if you take an MP3 Rip and convert it to OGG. It will sound weird
and you will notice that information lost forever.