[linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri May 2 14:47:00 EDT 2003

> I don't think that's true. ext2 has certainly been around for longer,
> but I'm sure ext3 wasn't generally available when I switched to
> ReiserFS. Since ext3 is an easier upgrade, I would have tried it
> first otherwise.
>
> Cheers
>
> Daniel

You may be very right Daniel. I'm speaking form my very limited Redhat
perspective, where I think ext3 showed up long before they included
reiserfs. I'm pretty much a dummy distro user and don't have much history
outside of what RH provides as I use it in my testing of the chips we
develop.

Anecdotally I'm told that more machines run ext3 than reiserfs, but I
certainly don't know that to be true, and I have nothing against reiserfs,
since after all I'm using it on my audio drive.

My thought is that for a 2-disk audio workstation ext3 or reiserfs is
probably fine for the system drive, and I like reiserfs (or even XFS one
day...) better for my audio drive. For a single drive DAW it's a much more
personal decision I'm sure.

Cheers,
Mark