[linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Fri May 2 15:41:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 11:50, derek holzer wrote:
> mark,
>
> actually, the idea is to get my jack running with --realtime
> capabilities w/o a system freeze due to kernel 2.4.20 + ext3 problems.

Sorry, but I missed this point as I got involved a little late and for
that I apologize. This freeze makes sense in light of the 2.4.20/ext3
issue beign known, and switchign to reiserfs would make sense too.

> this will hopefully fix my xrun difficulties. but what you said makes
> sense, so i changed the fs of my root partition from ext3 to ext2 in the
> /etc/fstab and rebooted. guess what? it still mounted as ext3! why is
> that?!?

I do not know. It is my understand and my experience that if I change
fstab to say ext2 and reboot, as you did, then df -T will say ext2 and
not ext3. Strange.

> just to make sure, i issued a "jackstart --realtime -d alsa -d
> hw", and guess what else? the system froze, just like it should.

Yep, if you are mounted ext3, then the freeze is expected.

> is there another way to mount my root partition as ext2? ...last chance
> before everything gets converted! :-)

Not that I know of.

> and... how would one change the journalling commit time, anyway?

Not sure. I'm looking at man pages but not spotting how to do it. I have
a vague memory of running across this before, but I don't know where.

There are some kernel patches out there dating back to last year, along
with some technical info, but possibly those require a kernel recompile
which is a pretty drastic step for you to take right now.

http://lwn.net/Articles/5584/

Here's one interesting thread I found with some interesting info:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ext3-users/2001-November/002152.html

I'll continue to poke around for what I saw. It was when I was first
researching reiserfs.

> another
> thing you mention in the 'xruns vs disk activity thread' is turning off
> chrond... can you elaborate on that as well, pls?

ps -aux and kill the crond process as a test.

ntsysv on Redhat, turn off crond and/or anacron as a test.

I don't recommend running all the time with cron turned off, but it's
certainly OK to turn it off and see if it effects your low level xruns.