[linux-audio-user] Acid clone for Linux?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon May 5 08:31:01 EDT 2003

Hallo,
Juhana Sadeharju hat gesagt: // Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> But there is a problem: I'm not sure what really is the correct sync
> between all the samples.
>
> I have taken samples from "www.mountedbythegods.com", at download
> page. Look at the partial file listing below: does jungle_1 go
> wrong with respect to drum_1? See figure:
>
>   drum_1    |-------|-------
>   jungle_1  |-----|-----|-----
>
> Or would the correct arrangement be following?
>
>   drum_1    |-------|-------
>   jungle_1  |-----  |-----

And what does "correct" mean to you?

> drum_1.wav:   16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz    708652	 4.0173 (time in seconds)
> drum_2.wav:   16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz    352812	 2.0000

I'm not sure, if I quite understand what you mean. First: I guess,
when you talk about "syncing" samples (loops), you want to get their
beats, their musical tempo to match, right? Then the length is not as
interesting as how many beats are in there. If those are loops around
the popular 120 bpm in tempo, then a 2 second loop is one bar.
Probably the 3-seconds loops, supposed they are also one bar, are in
another, slower tempo, so you won't get them to match musically
without timestretching or cutting them into single beats.

> So, what Linux arranger I could use for assembling the remixes?
> It can be a full blown multitrack editor but it has to have
> some support for handling the beat oriented samples.

I'd suggest to take a look at Soundtracker or Cheesetracker.

> What software sampler would allow me to synthesize with
> samples such as "brr_2.wav" and "digeri_2.wav"?

Every software sampler can synthesize samples, of course. Otherwise it
wouldn't be a sampler ;)

A tracker software allows you to arrange samples in musical time. Both
above also let you edit the samples, but for higher quality time
stretching you better use a soundfile editor like Snd, Sweep (very
good at loops) or Audacity.

Then of course there is Ardour, which also has advanced editing and
arranging capabilities, but it's a moving target and one should
probably wait for the first binary release (which isn't that far
anymore)

Personally I use selfmade composing aids done inside Pd.

ciao