[linux-audio-user] Start audio apps in different virtual desktops

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed May 7 12:16:01 EDT 2003

> Hi all
> I m writing a simple script to start a few audio apps and connect them
> automagically. What I would like is to make certain windows to
> appear in a
> different virtual desktop. For example Ardour edit window in 1,
> ardour mixer
> in 2, pd in three etc.
> Is that possible?
> I use KDE.  Is it something KDE specific?
> I tried to google for it but I dont know what to google for really.
> Any help appreciated as usual
>
> ---
> regards
> anton

Hi,
   I cannot answer your technical question, but please keep in mind that if
you are using any real-time audio applications, such as those that use Jack,
then switching desktops while doing important audio things will cause clicks
and pops in your audio stream.

   That said, I used to place Ardour on one page and Rosegarden on another,
and then pin the Rosegarden transport on all pages to be able to control it
without having it around. Multiple desktops are nice.

Best of luck,
Mark