[linux-audio-user] [OT] ? DVD questions

Hartmut Noack symposion at onlinehome.de
Sun May 11 18:48:00 EDT 2003

Am Son, 2003-05-11 um 18.55 schrieb Dave Phillips:

>     1. What software do you use for viewing DVDs ?

I prefer Xine because: easy installation, flawless performance , good to
configure, not too many useless extras

>     2. Do you use that software for watching AVI, MPEG, or other video
> formats ?

Xine does everything (Dvx - support is perfect all others work ok)

>     3. What software do you use for ripping/encoding DVDs ?

None - transcode is too hard to install - about a dozen extra-libs are
too complicated for my taste

>     5. Overall, how would you rate Linux DVD support, particularly
> compared to Windows or the Mac ?

I do not miss anything i really need when viewing DVDs. I had Power DVD
on Windows before i get Xine working decently and i do not see a reason
why i should return to it.

About Performance/Quality:
I would say, the pictureQuality in Xine is slightely better than the
one  in PowerDVD , Navigating the Movie ist smoother/faster (witch might
be because the Data-transfer in LINUX is by far better than in Win32).

BTW: sound works great in Xine via alsa`s oss-emulation, i`m a bit of a
puritane about sound:real Stereo in real HIFI is IT - DolbySurround etc
does not hold my interest ;-)

--
Hartmut Z Noack / Berlin
http://www.linuxuse.de