[linux-audio-user] Linux Soft Sampler...

Jesse Ray Lucas jlucas at neoprimitive.net
Wed May 14 13:12:01 EDT 2003

I am anxiously anticipating the day I can throw out my WinXP box and trade
it in for a fresh install of Linux to do my audio work.

I have been looking around on the web for a soft sampler for Linux, but
haven't come up with anything.  There are virtual synths galore, but no full
featured soft samplers, ala Gigastudio, Kontakt, Halion, etc.  Am I missing
anything?

I don't know much about csound, but am intrigued by it.  Would there
possibly be a way to write the equivalent of a soft sampler using csound?  I
suppose that would require a realtime version of csound like DirectCSound
for Win32.  Can csound for Linux work in realtime?

Has anyone tried getting Native Instruments Kontakt (or any other Windows
soft sampler) to run in Wine?  I'm curious how/if this would work.

I run a console-only install of Mandrake on a 233Mhz as my webserver off of
my cable modem connection, so I don't have X where I can test any of this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jesse