[linux-audio-user] (semi)professional "field" recording work, what to use?

Roger Williams raw at qux.com
Wed May 14 22:47:01 EDT 2003

  > is there any reason to avoid a portable DAT recorder?

Crappy built-in mike preamps? ;-)

I have a well-loved TCD-D10pro2 that I have no intention of getting
rid of, but I don't use it much any more (except for, ahem, safety
mixes).  It's been reliable, but the format is getting a bit "long in
the tooth".  And frankly, I found that I always wanted to use 3 or 4
mics, and hosed myself more than once by setting up a bad mix in the
field.

In any case, if you intend to do any further processing, it's likely
more cost-effective to use the same computer for field recording and
tracking that you're using later for mixing.  Laptop-based HD
recording systems seem to be (my early skepticism is fading) reliable
enough these days that the cost savings make sense...

--
Roger Williams <raw at qux.com>
Qux Tool & Die, Middleborough, Massachusetts