[linux-audio-user] Notation to freqs/Rosegarden

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Mon May 19 11:11:01 EDT 2003

Hello. How to convert the notes in
  http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/arabicscales.png
to keyboard's keys, MIDI values, and frequencies?

In Rosegarden, I tried to type the notes in, but Rosegarden
accepted only two first notes and then did not accept further
notes. Rosegarden had no that overtone symbol seen in the image.
It would be great if one could type whatever he sees, and only
afterwards Rosegarden would let user know if the notation makes
sense.

By the way, I tested Mounted by the Gods (www.mountedbythegods.com)
loops
 ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/culture/music/western/Yello/mountedbythegods.tar.bz2
 (or http)
in Rosegarden:
(1) How to set the tempo? Is it 120 with those loops?
    Setting tempo based on the loop length did not work; tempo
    went to 60 instead of 120 in some random manner -- a bug?
(2) Does MIDI and JACK delays affect the syncronization between
    the loops? Now the mix sounds a bit out of sync and maybe is
    skipping.

Hmmm.. a deng loop fills entirely the space but claps loop does not
(or otherway; try drum loops as well). What happens is that the claps
loop pauses for a while when I arrange many of them to a row. Can you
figure out if this is exactly what is intended? I'm in a believ that
I should not time-scale any of those loops.

It could be that the deng and the claps loops are all ok, but
what I hear skipping is the Rosegarden audio engine. Is it as
good as possible?

Best regards,

Juhana