[linux-audio-user] newbie q: making a machine

Jonathan Segel jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com
Tue May 20 03:52:00 EDT 2003

i own RME hardware, so that's a plus!
i was thinking about building a new machine that would be dedicated
to being an audio maker. the mac running ydl is a 9600, but it has a
digi AMiii card which i'm sure is useless to anything else but digi.
(got the machine to run os x w/ digi's coreaudio though...)
and yes, i'm a professional musician. i've been tryign to sneak
max/msp and supercollider into the pop world for a while now. and now
supercollider server is being developed, there are already working
linux ports of the synth server side (so i'm told) but not the
language side..

>Jonathan Segel wrote:
>>  hi, i'm a recent linux user, coming from mac universe. i started by
>>  putting YDL on one of my old macs last summer, but now i'm gonna get
>>  serious.
>>  so my question is: what parts would you recommend for making a Linux box
>>  to run audio on? i realize this is a big field, but any clues are helpful.
>>  also, i'm probably going to use redhat, given that my ydl exprerience is
>>  based on redhat. any precautionary measures?
>>
>>  thanks all
>
>Redhat is an ecellent choice esp if you get into the planet ccrma catalog.
>
>The question of hardware really depends on what your intentions are. I
>assume professional from your email footer.
>
>Multitracks cards are basically RME or maudio delta 1010. There are
>others choices but they don't get as much of a working so the drivers
>may not be as well designed as they could be.
>
>Will you be building a new PC or using your mac?

Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
               4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
   jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite at yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com
    tel (510) 534 7825  cell (510) 484 7415  fax (425) 955 4495