[linux-audio-user] newbie q: making a machine

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Thu May 22 10:21:01 EDT 2003

On 22 May 2003 06:39:49 -0500, Jan Depner wrote / a écrit:

> > Why - because they are the only graphics card manufacturer
> > with an accelerated 3D driver for Linux

Jan,
   The ATI Radeon series (at least 9000 and above) is accelerated and
well supported under Linux. For $69 I got a Radeon 9000 from New Egg
online. I get 100FPS on glxgears unaccelerated, and 2000FPS accelerated.

   I think the NVidea devices do outperform this little $69 card, but I
like it because it has no fan, so it makes no noise and won't overheat
when that little VGA cooling fan gets dirty in 6 months. ;-)

Mark