[linux-audio-user] newbie q: making a machine

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri May 23 04:45:01 EDT 2003

> The fact that you most probably won't be using 3d graphics at the
> same time as making music doesn't mean that you might not want them
> for other multi-media purposes

Sure. I'm guess I'm just lucky enough to own more than one machine.
But if you want lots of polygons drawn quickly, you can probably get
a complete Sony PS2 for the price of some of these graphics cards.

Nvidia claims the hardware rendering on the Quadro FX 500 is
programmable in a C-like language:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=IO_20030521_4157

How you get the tools for this language, it doesn't say.

I mentioned to a local computer builder (supplier of mail order
systems) about my reluctance to get an Nvidia graphics card because
of the driver issues. He said they have exactly the same problems
mass-producing Windows machines because Nvidia don't give them any
chipset details either. They have to use the Unified Driver
Architecture one-size-fits-all driver and hope for the best. So it's
not just a Linux problem.

Cheers

Daniel