[linux-audio-user] Notation to freqs/Rosegarden

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri May 23 05:29:00 EDT 2003

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>>From:	Chris Cannam <cannam at all-day-breakfast.com>
>>
>>I'm not sure I understand this part.  Which of the staffs in that
>>image were you trying to enter? [...]
>
> The problem is that 4/4 mode does accept only two of those notes
> seen in the image "http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/arabicscales.png",
> and then the editor refuses to add more.

I still don't quite understand.  It's true that the editor won't
allow you to put eight quarter-notes in a single bar without a time
signature, as illustrated in that image.  But that doesn't seem to
be quite what you're describing, as you'd obviously get four notes,
not two, before having to go to the next bar.

The keys and accidentals are the interesting thing here, and
presumably the point of the image.  All of the accidentals shown
simply duplicate those in the keys, so presumably this is an
illustrative example only -- i.e. with the key signatures shown,
the pitches shown would normally have no accidentals, but they've
shown the accidentals explicitly just for the purposes of the
exposition.  You can't yet do this in Rosegarden (i.e. tell it
to show explicitly all the accidentals that notes inherit from a
key signature).

Also, of course, Rosegarden supports neither the quarter-tone
notation nor quarter-tone pitches themselves (nor any other
alternative tuning).  There are a lot of requirements associated
with entering and playing (correctly) non-traditional-Western
notations, and while these are all desirable post-1.0 features,
they mostly will not be in 1.0.

> [...] What MIDI codes they have?

A quarter-tone falls between two MIDI pitches -- MIDI pitch is an
integral number of semitones.  To play them with a normal MIDI
instrument requires a pitch-bend controller event.

Chris