[linux-audio-user] OT: China internet operator jailed

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri May 23 07:50:01 EDT 2003

Follwing up the earlier discussion about Linux audio hardware made in
China, here's a news story I saw today. Apparently in China you can
get five years in jail for running a website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3039041.stm

So we're unlikely to find out the truth about working conditions in
Chinese factories, on the web at least.

For the record, although I managed to buy a UK made mixer for my
studio, when I unwrapped my M Audio Delta 1010 I think there was a
'made in China' sticker on it.

I also bought a Behringer mic recently, and mentioned these issues to
the music shop owner. He'd previously worked for a company where
construction had been moved to the Phillipines, and had witnessed the
effects first hand. But since everything except the very high-end
stuff is now made this way, what can he sell in his shop otherwise?

Cheers

Daniel