[linux-audio-user] MIDI recording, frustrated, set me straight

Alexandre Prokoudine avp at altlinux.ru
Sat May 24 06:33:01 EDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003 19:38:14 +1000
James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:

> G'day from outback Australia,
>
> I'd like to record my Roland RD-150 piano at the MIDI protocol
> level, adjust the tempo, maybe fix a few mistakes, and then play
> it back and capture to audio to CD-R ... all to save having to
> take my piano with me on gigs.  It doesn't like the dirt roads.
>
> I've spent about sixteen hours so far on the project, with some
> good progress, but I'm missing a workable means to capture the
> MIDI data and play it back at tempo.
>
> I see from the mailing list archives (Frustrated, small review on
> sequencers) that Rosegarden 4 might be an active project to try.
>
> Does this match what I need?  I've not used these sort of tools
> before, so I lack the right terminology.  I'm not convinced I know
> what people mean when they say "sequencer" or "tracker".

Here are the steps:

1. Capture MIDI events from keyboard to a MIDI sequencer
like Rosegarden or MusE

2. Work at the score (adjust tempo/notes/whatever)

3. Play it through any software synth. I suggest FluidSynth
(www.fluidsynth.org) or Timidity and capture this sound in any
(multitrack) recording editor like ecasound, Ardour or ReZound --
you will need low-latency sound server JACK.

4. Record a resulted WAV file to CD-R/RW

You can find a more precised info at:

http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/toots/Jack_Ardour/

and you won't be frustrated if you read the whole
http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/

:-)

Good luck!

--