[linux-audio-user] MIDI recording, frustrated, set me straight

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Sat May 24 12:17:00 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 06:46, Guy Daniel CLOTILDE wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 24 May 2003 06:14:05 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at attbi.com> wrote / a écrit:
>
> > You want a sequencer. A tracker is a bit different in that it plays
> > prerecorded audio files at specific times.
>
> Is it not what he may want? seq24 (http://filter24.org/seq24/) for instance is oriented for live playing . It records midi tracks and play them back. Best of all, it's really lightweight.
> I found that RG is a tool well suited for composing, mixing midi tracks (bass, drums, violins, etc) and audio tracks (guitar, voices).

Well, his original request was:

(As I understood it!)

1) He's going to play his piano synth - it puts out MIDI - he wants tha
MIDI recorded. RG will do that.

2) When he has the MIDI right (edited and what not) he will let RG (or
whatever recorded it) play, and he wants to record the audio. RG will do
that.

I haven't used Seq24, but that, plus maybe Ecasound or something to
record the audio would work also. Probably comes down to what's easiest
to build and operate on his machine.

Probably either of those two options, or a few others, would do what he
needs.