[linux-audio-user] USB Quattro and Jack questions

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue May 27 14:06:01 EDT 2003

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Austin hat gesagt: // Austin wrote:
>

>>On 2003.05.27 07:42, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>>>It's highly unlikely that jack and usb will work well with low lat at any
>>>sample rate.
>>
>>I was leaning towards the quattro USB.  Are you saying you've NEVER been
>>able to record four channels without dropouts?  Are you guessing the PCI
>>version (whatever it's called) would have fewer dropouts with jack?
>

> I don't think, that this is what Patrick meant. USB is not really
> suited for very low latency applications because of how the bus
> handles the data transport. But with a bit higher latency settings, it
> is no problem to record or play 4 channels without dropouts on the
> Quattro. Nevertheless PCI is better, but not an option on a laptop.
> For a standalone machine, I'd highly recommend a 'real' card.

Another thing about the quattro is that even the windows drivers will
not allow you to record and playback on all 4 channels at one time.

You can use

4 in, 2 out 48khz 24 bit
2 in, 4 out
2 in, 2 out 94 khz 24 bit

I think I am running up against this with my latest attempts. It may be
that the quattro cannot do all 8 channels because of a hardware switch
maybe for power consumption or something. They do run awfully hot and I
can imagine that it would be possible to melt something if their is too
much power running through them.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman