[linux-audio-user] Jack doesn't start correctly?

Rohan Parkes rparkes at email.com
Wed May 28 08:45:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 20:53, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Rohan Parkes wrote:
> > I installed Jack from Planet-CCRMA. I have a Soundblaster Live with RH
> > 9.0. However, Jack doesn't seem to start completely.
> >
> > I understand that I should be able to basically start Jack using
> > 	jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
> > or
> > 	jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
> >
> > However, it stops at
> >
> > 	jackd -d alsa -d hw:0

> > 	creating alsa driver ... hw:0|1024|2|48000|swmon|rt
> >
> > I think it should set up channels, etc. Jack-dependent apps complain
> > that Jack isn't working.
> >
> > Several times, it has done this correctly, but I can't understand why it
> > worked then but doesn't now. As far as I can see, the ALSA drivers are
> > loaded and working.
> >

> Do you have any other apps running before you start jack?
>
> Did this happen several times over reboots or without rebooting?
>
> Can you send us the version of jack you are using? It is provided when
> starting jack?

Piping the output from the command

jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100

to a text file produces the following (although I don't see the first
line nor anything from the second occurence of "jackd 0.71.1" onwards
when I launch it - I don't know why the text is getting repeated).

received signal 15 during shutdown (ignored)
jackd 0.71.1
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw|1024|2|44100|swmon|swmeter|rt
jackd 0.71.1
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

I might have xawtv running, but no audio apps (and shutting xawtv down
doesn't have any effect). I always seem to get the problem - as I
mentioned, a couple of days ago I seemed to briefly be able to get it to
work, but I can't work out what I might have done differently. Rebooting
doesn't make any difference.

--
Rohan Parkes <rparkes at email.com>