[linux-audio-user] jack init script

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed May 28 22:45:01 EDT 2003

> Not a bad idea.  I never really thought of it.  But, do you really want
> jackd running constantly??  It tends to screw up any non-jack audio apps
> so, for instance, xmms won't run.  I guess you could use only jack
> enabled apps though.
>
> Jan
>
> > I'm wondering if anyone has written a RedHat-style init.d script for jackd.  I
> > haven't had any luck looking for one on the net.

Hmmm, and as which user do you start the server?
Jack is not multiuser at the moment so it would not be possible to start
it with an init.d style script (if you start it as root, only root can
use it - not good -, if you start it as user x only user x will be able
to access it).

At most it could be started by a user at login time, not by the system
at boot time (in its present state). This could be done with the
existing xdm/gdm/kdm mechanisms for starting or stopping a session.

-- Fernando