[linux-audio-user] Running Jack etc as Root?

Rohan Parkes rparkes at email.com
Sat May 31 11:01:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 00:15, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 31 May 2003 23:58:12 +1000
> Rohan Parkes <rparkes at email.com> wrote:
>
> > Is Jack meant to be run as root? I thought it was, but reading the
> > thread about jack start-up scripts suggested otherwise.
> >
> > Howver, if I launch Jack and ladcca as a normal user, ladcca keeps
> > complaining that it can't read a folder in the root directory. I
> > think other patch apps did the same. This is partly what lead me
> > to suppose that Jack and associated apps had to run as root.
>
> You need a low latency capabilies patched kernel in order to run
> JACK and relative apps aas normal user. Please read
> http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO.php3
>
> Cheers!

I'm using the low latency patch from Planet-CCRMA. However, I might
consider compiling my own, because their version seems to leave out
support for some of my apps/hardware.

I still don't understand why some of the patch apps like ladcca complain
that they can't read from the root folder if I run then as a regular
user.

--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne