[linux-audio-user] Recording in 7200,8bit,Mono !

Benjamin Flaming lau at solobanjo.com
Tue Nov 11 07:02:39 EST 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 05:00 am, Udaya Kumar.R wrote:
> We tried it, but it wasn't working. We had loss of quality !
> Is it not possible to get it working, with the given specs with the
> latest hardware.
>
> Specs : 7200, 8bits, mono.

The short answer is, these specs aren't going to sound good, no matter how you
get there.  If you take a 16-bit, 48000 signal, and convert it to 8-bit 7200,
you are throwing away 92.5% of your data.  The result is bound to be a little
noisy ;)

I don't know exactly what it is that you are recording, but you might be able
to improve your results slightly by:

1. Making sure you input signal level is as hot as it can get without clipping
2. Recording at the highest quality level supported by your hardware
3. Running the sound through a compressor or (better yet) look-ahead limiter
4. Normalizing the sound
5. Converting down to your final format

I'm not familiar with the programs you're using.  If you can't find
"Compressor" and "Normalize" in your application, you might want to give
Audacity a try:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Also, if you've never worked with a compressor before, you might find the
following helpful:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Compression/

Good luck!