[linux-audio-user] midi timing problems

James Stone stone1 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 12 15:54:57 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:08:03PM +0100, Comix wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 November 2003 22:13, James Stone wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > I have a problem with midi timing.. I think I have set up enhanced rtc
> > correctly and low latency patch on kernel 2.4.20.
> >
> > When I drive hydrogen (or even the inbuilt soundfont player on my
> > SBLive) with seq24 or ardour, there is a noticable variation in midi
> > timing. This was tested by using a run of closed hihats. When I play the
> > sequence back, the hihats are grouped in batches rather than being
> > evenly spaced. This was noticable when running as root and when using
> > alsa and (to a lesser extent) jack. The midi connection is via alsa.
> >
> > Any hints on what I should do?
> >
> Hi James,
> sadly I must admit that hydrogen has still some problems with midi input, the
> notes are aligned with a resolution equal to the buffer size..I should fix
> this soon...
>
> ciao
> --
> Alessandro <Comix> Cominu

Thanks for that.. But I dont think it solves my entire problem as I still
have questionable timing when driving the builtin soundfont synth on my
soundcard.. And by the way, hydrogen is by _far_ the best drumloop
sequencer in linux.. I am quite happy to export completed loops as wavs
to use in Muse as a workaround for the time being.

James.