[linux-audio-user] stompboxes2 and audacity question

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Fri Nov 14 10:36:08 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:16:41 +0000
Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:
> I'd been told that DI into my mixer was no good for bass guitar, so I
> rigged up an amp, speaker and large diagphram condenser mic instead.
> Result - exactly the same sound, only more noise.

This seems to be a bit of mis-information.  Bass, more than any other
instrument, works well with DI.  Dependin on the mixer, and the preamps
in it, you may not have any problems at all with this approach, or you
may need some sort of preamp/DI box between the bass and the mixer.

The signal from a guitar or bass is not at line level; it's equivalent
to a microphone level input.  Note that some mixers have 1/4" and XLR
connectors for their inputs, and in some cases the use of the 1/4" input
bypasses the preamp circuit with the assumption that the input device
is already at line level.  If you have a 1/4" plug to XLR cable, you
might find that makes a big difference in the strenth and tone of the
signal.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com