[linux-audio-user] Re: 2.6.0 song theme... request.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 14 13:18:46 EST 2003

Hallo,
Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:

> In a related thought, I've wondered for a while where all of the Linux
> servers supporting most of the individually developed web pages, not the
> SourceForge stuff are. Are people paying for server space for these sites?
> My cable modem ISP won't let me run a web server out of my house.

I do pay for my webspace, but only a little bit and I only am allowed
about 5 gig transfer a month for that. Austin's wonderful song, if
downloaded 2500 times, has created about 6.250 gigs of traffic.
Imagine what amounts it would be if he would be seriously slashdotted.

On the other hand modern filesharing like bittorrent or soulseek
intends and does take the load off a single person's webserver. I
think a community bittorrent tracker only for open source music would
be cool. archive.org seems to have something like that in its free
music department.

Lastly scene.org is a major player in this area or free music (and
art). I think they are in part sponsored by public money plus
commercial sponsors.

Another example: The pure-data.org website was run privatly, but now
is in the hands of the austrian IEM institute. Linux music done with
Pd can be shared there, too, since shortly. See
http://pure-data.org/community/ (not much music available yet, though)

ciao