[linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 21 10:19:26 EST 2003

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> Agreed, I think this is the best thing - existing "bings and beeps" type
> apps are unlikly to switch to a JACK style API for the audio i/o,

Well, but what's the point of having a soundserver at all when ALSA
can do the mixing of the bings and beeps with its dmix plugin itself?
Even format and samplerate conversion could be done with ALSA. The
advantage is, that a soundserver would not block the soundcard all the
time and thus has to be disabled by users.

(Before I'm misread: There is a place for Jack, of course, which is
way more than a soundserver)

ciao