[linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Fri Nov 21 10:19:14 EST 2003

Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:22:57AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
>
>>Anyone want to defend the use of artsd?
>

> I'll take a swing.  It's a working way to get multiple stream output
> for applications.  Yes, we would scoff at its performance but that's not

   that's one fat lie (yes it does but no it doesn't solve the problem
it's supposed to solve). if you need it in the first place (card does
not support multi channels) you cannot use it because not all aps use it
and you're in the same audo blocking hell as without it.

   example: set mozilla to use arts, set xmms to use arts etc... and
then go and surf the web, flash, realplayer etc. all do not use arts and
thus your mozilla blocks (looks frozen) on number of pages... (I suspect
it's mostly flash, used in banners, not playing any sound but still
trying to open audio)

   now what did arts help exactly?

   that's why the problem of multiple applications trying to use
soundcard has to be solved by something that pretty much everybody uses

	erik