[linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Fri Nov 21 16:58:12 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:19:14AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   example: set mozilla to use arts, set xmms to use arts etc... and
> then go and surf the web, flash, realplayer etc. all do not use arts and
> thus your mozilla blocks (looks frozen) on number of pages... (I suspect
> it's mostly flash, used in banners, not playing any sound but still
> trying to open audio)

::shrugs:: If you use non-free software, you get what you're fed.

If you use free software that doesn't support arts and just needs to go
"boing", adding an arts (or even esd) interface isn't *that* involved.
In fact both have /dev/dsp wrappers that may or may not work already (I
can't say I've ever used said wrappers).

>   that's why the problem of multiple applications trying to use
> soundcard has to be solved by something that pretty much everybody uses

That's why JACK is really the key software bit, not arts/esd - JACK
gives a metal interface that lets lower performance apps use a
virtualized interface.  JACK can mitigate the hardware, provide high
performance apps high performance, and send out a beep when something
wants it.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.