[linux-audio-user] Getting Quattro to work with other soundcard

Adam King aking at lgh.com.au
Fri Nov 21 23:49:37 EST 2003

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my M-Audio Quattro to work as a second device in
addition to my SoundBlaster Live! I'm using ALSA 0.9.6 and have managed
to get them both to work. I am using Patrick Shirkey's asound.conf,
however i can only seem to use the quattro as devices quattro1 and
quattro2. Jack fails with any other settings that are defined in
asound.conf. I've compiled Patrick's qinit program but it segfaults.

My asound.conf is:

# quattro1 is pcm0 which has a maximum sample rate of 44100 and 16 bit
stereo

        pcm.quattro1 {
                type hw
                card 0
                device 0
        }

        ctl.quattro1 {
                type hw
                card 0
        }

# quattro2 is pcm1 which has a maximum sample rate of 96000 and 24 bit
stereo

        pcm.quattro2 {
                type hw
                card 0
                device 1
        }

        ctl.quattro2 {
                type hw
                card 0
        }

# quattro2 is pcm2 which has a maximum sample rate of 96000 and 24 bit
stereo

        pcm.quattro3 {
                type hw
                card 0
                device 2
        }

        ctl.quattro3 {
                type hw
                card 0
        }

#----

#
# compose 4 channels from two channel x two devices, hw:2,1 and hw:2,2
# assuming that hw:2,1 and hw:2,2 give the same condition, 24_3LE/96k
#

pcm.quattro {
        type multi;

        slaves.a.pcm "hw:0,1";
        slaves.a.channels 2;
        slaves.b.pcm "hw:0,2";
        slaves.b.channels 2;

        bindings.0.slave a;
        bindings.0.channel 0;
        bindings.1.slave a;
        bindings.1.channel 1;
        bindings.2.slave b;
        bindings.2.channel 0;
        bindings.3.slave b;
        bindings.3.channel 1;
}

ctl.quattro {
        type hw;
        card 0;
}

#
# remap 4 channels as interleaved.
# use plug instead of route here, since 24_3LE is unlikely supported by
# applications.
#
# arecord -r 44100 -c 4 -f s16_le -D q4 -d 5 /home/xxx/q4.wav

pcm.q4 {
        type plug;
        slave.pcm "quattro";
        ttable.0.0 1;
        ttable.1.1 1;
        ttable.2.2 1;
        ttable.3.3 1;
}

ctl.q4 {
        type hw;
        card 0;
}

#
# Use route plugin for applications that do support 24_3LE
# This lowers latency which the plug plugin introduces due to
resampling.
#
#   arecord -r 44100 -c 4 -f s16_le -D q41 -d 5 /home/xxx/q41.wav

pcm.q41 {
        type route;
        slave.pcm "quattro";
        ttable.0.0 1;
        ttable.1.1 1;
        ttable.2.2 1;
        ttable.3.3 1;

}

ctl.q41 {
        type hw;
        card 0;
}

#----

pcm.emu10k1 {
    type hw
    card 1
}
ctl.emu10k1 {
    type hw
    card 1
}

and my modules.conf is:

# START
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

# Quattro
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# SBLive
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
options enable=1

alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 extin=0x3fc3 extout=0x1fff enable_ir=1

Is there anything I am obviously doing wrong. Any help would be
appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam