[linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Nov 22 04:55:14 EST 2003

On Friday 21 November 2003 16:06, Daniel James wrote:
> Given that the two most popular 'KDE supporter' Linux distributions
> (SUSE and Mandrake) also install ALSA by default, maybe dmix rather
> than artsd support is what we should be lobbying the KDE developers
> for.

What we should be lobbying the KDE developers about - and also working
towards from the audio end is ensuring compatibility between ALSA/Jack apps
and KDE in general.

I'm using Agnula/Demudi and it's taken a fair amount of juggling to be able
to have both KDE and ALSA apps running in the same installation. This has
more to do with libqt3 versions than ALSA. I assume this is due to many audio
developers not using KDE at all (?yes that's an assumption). I can't remember
where, but I know I've read many times the suggestion that we should disable
arts in Kcontrol. I don't miss the whistles and bells at all - if I need an
audible reminder I put cdplay in an "at" or "cron" job. Frankly I can't see
myself doing any serious audio work using the KDE desktop - if I need a gui
I'll use fluxbox, however it would be nice to easily switch between modes as
has been suggested.

btw: I tried running Jack on a P133 and
hahahahahaha you must be joking :-)

take care & take it often