[linux-audio-user] Problems with VST under linux

axiom axiom at sphereserver.sm
Sat Nov 22 07:55:59 EST 2003

Hi all. I'm trying to get VST plugins run under linux (a RH9 with Planet
CCRMA, kernel 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90).

I've followed those steps:

- downloaded wine 20031118
- downloaded vstserver-0.2.8 (ladspavst too)

- i've installed wine simply untar it, then ./wineinstall
- i've compiled vstserver and ladspavst following their instructions

- i've correctly set VST_PATH (if i do "cd $VST_PATH" it brings me to
correct folder)

Now, when I run vstserver, then open a sound application (Audacity, in
example), i'll get this error:

VSTSERVER/main: Vstserver 0.2.8 started. Waiting for requests.
VSTSERVER/main: Going to try to start vst plugin "DFX Transverb.dll".
wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...
WineDbg starting on pid 8
Loaded debug information from ELF 'wine' ((nil))
No debug information in 32bit DLL 'F:\vstserver-0.2.8\vstservant'
(0x40730000)
No debug information in 32bit DLL 'NTDLL.DLL' (0x401c0000)
No debug information in 32bit DLL 'KERNEL32.DLL' (0x40440000)
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x409ffd80 in 32-bit
code (0x4000c239).
In 32-bit mode.
0x4000c239 (_end+0x400a40d): movl       0x0(%eax),%eax
Wine-dbg>WineDbg terminated on pid 8

i've even tried with a wine version suggested by INSTALL of vstserver,
but when it try to do last configuration step (next make, when it tries
to write the first registry entries), wine going in a debug loop and no
programs starts, even regedit.

Now, i'm totally stuck. Sacrifing my dog in a full moon night and sell
my soul to Stallman never gave me better results. Perhaps you? :)

Thx in advance,
Luca