[linux-audio-user] HDSP/MF segmentation fault problems

BrbrOfSvl at aol.com BrbrOfSvl at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 03:05:01 EDT 2003

Okay, I'm trying to be a little more fastidious about finding what's wrong.  My HDSP/MF soundcard freezes with several applications, including play, mpg321, and when I play a soundfile in audacity.  It always happens at the end of the soundfile, or if I command-C or push the stop button (in audacity) while the soundfile is playing.  It says there's a segmentation fault, and then I can't get my card to respond to any app at all (they all say the device is busy or nonexistent).  ps aux doesn't show anything at all.  When I try /sbin/service alsasound restart, I get this:
/sbin/service alsasound restart

Shutting down sound driversnd-pcm-oss: Device or resource busy
snd-mixer-oss: Device or resource busy
snd-hdsp: Device or resource busy
snd-pcm: Device or resource busy
snd-timer: Device or resource busy
snd-rawmidi: Device or resource busy
snd-seq-device: Device or resource busy
snd-hwdep: Device or resource busy
snd: Device or resource busy
                                                           [  OK  ]
ALSA driver already running
Sound driver snd-hdsp is already loaded

So that doesn't do anything at all.  I have none of these problems with my other soundcard (an onboard nvidia chip).  Really the only way I've figured how to fix it is to reboot.  Is there a way to debug these things and find out how to fix the segmentation fault?  Does anyone know what about the HDSP/MF (or its driver) would be helping to cause it?  Is there a way to force ALSA to restart?

Thanks,