[linux-audio-user] another report HDSP 9652/jack/ardour/hdspmixer

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Oct 2 13:42:01 EDT 2003

> Another short addendum - I tried doing a bunch of:
>
> amixer cset numid=5 27,0,32768
>
> incrementing the first 2 numbers (27,0) so that it would route
> all the adat
> outs -
>
> that yielded the same results in ardour - I'm not even sure if
> Mark was sure
> if this was the right wording for the amixer command

No, I think that wording was right, but maybe we need to do a bit of a reset
to better understand exactly where you are at this point, what's working,
what's not, and then figure out what to do.

(In the above example, since the hardware input group is 0-25, and the
software group (output from Ardour, input to HDSP 9652) is 26-51, I think
you are routing the second playback channel to the first ADAT output
channel. It works, but I'm not sure you meant to do that.

In other threads (not this one) I've mentioned that I made headway faster
with this card by focusing on input signals before output signals. On the
HDSP 9652 the 26 inputs you see in hdspmixer in the top line are the inputs.
Are those working correctly? Can you send data input each of those from your
mixer and see meters operating correctly on all 26 inputs? (Or only 24 if
you don't have some spdif equipment.)

I made a mistake wasting weeks trying to get sound out when it was never
going to work. When I shifted to inputs Thomas and I worked out most of the
bugs pretty quickly.

OK, so assuming you check the inputs, and that they all work, then can you
route hardware input audio using hdspmixer to a hardware output? If all 26
inputs do NOT work, then you still have a driver or hdspmixer issue we need
to solve.

Assuming you get an input signal routed to an output, then you should be
able to drive whatever ADAT device you have that will create sound and hear
what's going on.

Only AFTER all of that works would I bother with Ardour at all. When the
stuff above works perfectly, then it will take you very little time to get
Ardour working. If the above stuff doesn't work, Ardour doesn't have a
chance.

- Mark