[linux-audio-user] REPORT HDSP 9652/jack/ardour/hdspmixer

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Thu Oct 2 14:11:00 EDT 2003

> OK then do NOT run ANY version of hdspmixer as the older versions will do
> weird routing and mess up all your tests. You probably need to do a cold
> boot or something to make sure you have everything back to default.

that'll be done next time I go in there, as I had to leave the studio for a
bit and power down :)

> You need to do everything with amixer commands until you get version 1.3
> compiled correctly.

ok - we're on the same page on this - (whew! :) ) - I actually sometimes am
more comfortable on the command line and in code.  I wouldn't mind
configuring on the command line and skipping hdpsmixer altogether.  but I
too do like the flashing lights and pretty GUI sometimes :)

> I'll just say this again for clarity. Do not run ANY version of hdspmixer
> OTHER THAN version 1.3 or the results are weird and the whole card acts
> crazy. (Audio data gets written to control registers using version 1.2.
;-)
> Crazy results! ;-)

Righto!

> Fernando supplies alsa-tools, which is where I think you got your 1.2
> version, or whatever you are running. Maybe you can figure out from that
how
> to get this built. On Gentoo it builds fine for me. I haven't tried it on
> Redhat.

yes
so summary
configure using amixer commands
get to work
get hdspmixer 1.3 to work
when I open it, expect to see it show up however I've configured the card
using amixer commands

that brings up question.  if I am using amixer commands, skipping hdsp for a
moment, how am I going to test (without opening ardour)?