[linux-audio-user] Sync with Ardour , MIDI, rosegarden, etc.

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Sat Oct 4 16:15:00 EDT 2003

> Within the Options menu there are flags that can be
> set that will cause Ardour to print Midi and MTC
> messages to the consol from which it was started. I'd
> suggest gettting those messages and sending a report
> to ardour-dev.

hmmm - that's a good idea

I seem to have gotten past this to SOME degree - I repatched my midi patch
bay, and now ardour responds - but sort of spottily - I usually have to make
several attempts at hitting play on the outside device (a darwin harddisk
recorder) before ardour responds.  when it responds, it seems to stay in sync
well for awhile, although what it won't do is pick up from anywhere but the
beginning - which is the point of using MTC instead of MIDI clock,
largely...the problem now is it stops after about a minute, but I think this
is an issue with recording (as that's what I'm doing) and I'm about to test
to see if it stops when just playing, and to see if when recording while not
in sync it stops...

> I believe that Ardour 1.0 will abandon MTC generation
> in favor of SMPTE--not sure if that applies to reading
> external messages. Anyone know?

the way I understand it, MTC really just IS smpte, translated into the MIDI
stream so that MIDI devices such as synths and sequencers (and Darwin, and my
mixer) can deal with it (my mixer has an actual smpte port too I think)
it's always nice to have 'em all

I have yet to get ardour to really SEND anything.  it's trying to be a slave
alright, but I was hoping that it would send ADAT sync (that's the other,
better way to sync darwins is with the adat 9 pin sync card)...it doesn't
seem to want to receive ADAT sync either - that might have something to do
with my card, though - I recall seeing something where the ardour guys
weren't able to get the ADAT sync to work with the Hammerfall cards yet...

> The preferred solution for syncing jack clients is
> jack_transport functionality. I haven't noticed any of
> the midi sequencer developers announcing inclusion of
> Jack O'Quin's new transport feature set. I believe the
> API is stable and waiting for people to implement it.
> Paul D. recently announced that he has the transport
> functionality for Ardour at %80.

I see this option in the options window of ardour - I thought that might be

what would be really great, actually, is if jack could be the centerpiece for
sync, and for example, ardour, rosegarden AND external devices could sync to
jack - having a jack be a solid master time code source sending all sync
codes out at once, with syncing to it just being a matter of connecting up a
virtual and/or real cable,

> I believe you'll find that JAMin and ecasound support
> the new functionality. Alsaplayer might too. The old

as I see people talking, it sounds like ecasound might be a better option in
some cases for initial tracking... but ecasound has no GUI whatsoever, right?