[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 8 04:31:00 EDT 2003

jordan muscott <morsecode at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>Rick Taylor wrote:

>>>Slackware 9.
>>>PIII 866
>>>alsa 0.9.7
>>>
>>>Has anyone succesfully recorded via the spdif input on this card using
>>>arecord? I'm getting lots of 'overuns' which result in jumps when I
>>>playback the resulting file. I've just built a new kernel with low
>>>latency but this has made no difference at all. For example:
>>>
>>>[jordan at bootsy new]$ arecord -f dat -D spdif 909track.wav
>>>Recording WAVE '909track.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
>>>Hz, Stereo
>>>overrun!!! (at least 0.090 ms long)
>>>overrun!!! (at least 0.030 ms long)
>>>overrun!!! (at least 0.061 ms long)
>>>overrun!!! (at least 0.030 ms long)
>>>
>>>This doesn't look ideal to me either:
>>>
>>>[jordan at bootsy jordan]$ cat /proc/interrupts
>>>          CPU0
>>> 0:      98023          XT-PIC  timer
>>> 1:       1556          XT-PIC  keyboard
>>> 2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>>> 8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>>>10:     108365          XT-PIC  eth0
>>>11:      14874          XT-PIC  aic7xxx, ICE1712
>>>12:      27245          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>>>15:          2          XT-PIC  ide1
>>>NMI:          0
>>>LOC:      97983
>>>ERR:          0
>>>MIS:          0
>>>
>>>If I use the nvidia drivers for my graphics card then nvidia appears on
>>>irq 11 as well. My bios doesn't look like it supports setting irqs, and
>>>I tried switching the slots that my ethernet card (eth0) and my sound
>>>card are plugged into but they still appear on the same irqs.
>>>
>>>Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Even if someone just
>>>sais "no, it doens't work for me either", then at least I'll know that
>>>I'm not the only person who has wasted money on this card :=(
>>
>> :} Them great big cards is called "motherboards".
>>
>> Does yours have any distinguishing features? ...Maybe a brand name or model
>>number?
>>
>Hmm, I was dreading the problem could be here:
>
>AOpen AX3S Pentium III Celeron Socket 370 133MHz 4x AGP ATX Motherboard.
>
>Thats what it sais on the box anyway.
>>
>> Any IRQs blocked or not enabled?  Can you at least reserve any of them?
>>Which slots are shared, do you need the SCSI? What's mapped to 3, 5 and 7,
>>etc? Why is nothing mapped to 3, 5 or 7?

>Yeah I do need the scsi because my only hard drive is plugged into it ;=)

 Strangely enough... so's your sound card.

 We'll assume that also means that you don't need the ide on 15. If you shut off
ide1, the serial and parallel ports {Soundblaster and PAS always use 5 {or 7}
and you can push {reserve} other {isa, unplug and play, etc...} stuff up to the
higher IRQs you may be able to clear up enough space for the Maudio card. {and
your hd} If there are other peripherals that aren't showing up and you don't
need them... turn them off.

 {You don't really need a floppy if that's what the ide thing {I doubt it} is...
I've set up many systems using a cd to boot/rescue with. It's not ever been any
real problem.}

 If your bios really doesn't offer you the option to switch things around you
can always do it in software. I've not run Slackware for 7-8 years... frankly
I've forgotten how. None of the Systems {Suse, Redhat, Mandrake, Debian and lots
of variants and versions {currently, I'm banging my head against the wall with
HURD {it's actually fairly simple... I've just not had the time to read all
of the set up stuff.}} I've run in the past 5 or so years has "given me the
option".

 Slackware's really tough and it's not going to get a lot easier. It's made for
folk that *really* know linux/unix, etc... {and masochists}. My suggestion would
be to either buy or download Redhat, set it up and save the configs for the rest
of the time you own the board. Alternately, {and probably better} there's a very
small Debian distribution that's really easy and pretty sure fire. {Somewhere at
http://www.debian.org } It's ~15o megs and gives you an entire system.
Everything else you can set up over the 'net with dselect or apt-get.
{Stick to stable for a couple months}