[linux-audio-user] Re Digital Audio Out on kernel 2.6

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 8 05:08:00 EDT 2003

Q <raid517 at fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi, can anyone please tell me exactly what I have to do to get alsa
>digital audio sound output working on kernel 2.6? As you might know
>kernel 2.6 versions come with their own version of alsa supplied, but I
>have tried everything imaginable to try to get digital out sound working
>and have had no luck at all. My soundcard is an onboard via8233 sound
>chip. (Which is extremely common - and as far as I understand it very
>well supported too).

 :} Quick answer would be to set up Redhat.

 Straight answer would be "I don't know".

 But... the reason I thought, maybe, I could justify wasting bandwidth is that
after reading this and looking down at the floor at my MOTU firewire card {which
connects to anything with a wire.} It occured to me... What would be wrong with
piping stuff in and out via firewire or USB {or any other sound capable wire}
and using some sort of network sound system?

 ...Probably not a great answer but it's something to consider.