Patch sharing, was: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording delay in Ardour...

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Wed Oct 8 11:24:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

Wednesday 08 October 2003 16.40 skrev Mark Knecht:

> > Reaktor users == thousands
> >
> > Linux softsynth users == dozens
> >
> > Umm, maybe it's a numbers thing ??
> >
> > == dp
>
> I think you're probably right, although of the thousands I wouldn't venture
> a guess as to how many of those are warez types. More than NI might want to
> admit.
>
> That said, Reaktor Session comes with 35-40 prebuilt instruments, and each
> instrument has many sounds ready to go. It comes with a large library of
> wave files built into the instruments, but they can be extracted and reused
> elsewhere. I think the method to that madness is that NI creates enough
> usability out of the box to get users really turned on to create more. Then
> the library comes, which benefits all the users again.

I was going to reply to a previous message on this thread with the intention
of saying that the problem might be that there are no sites/channels where
one can share patches or similar in the linux audio world...
But after seeing the new layout of Noizefarm
http://devdsp.net/index.pl?main=noizefarm
I'd say this isn't an argument anymore...  looks great!

It could probably do better in the advertisement area though... unless I was
the last one to know??

Even if we are fewer people in the linux-audio comunity I do think, especially
with our open source background, that we are very keen on sharing what we
create.

Another possibility is, of course, that nothing IS being created on any
grander scale, because the programs aren't production ready. I only have to
go to myself and my own trials at creating music in a linux environment and
all the hoops I have to hop through at the moment! It definately has some
truth to it.

> I'd love to see that happen with one or more of the Linux tools. I simple
> don't have the time or interest to become a programmer. When I turn on my
> PC and try to write music I need tools that get me there faster. I don't
> want to spend an hour grabbing blocks and wiring them together. By the time
> I get that done I've lost my inspiration for making music.
>
> I may be the odd man out around here. I'm not sure...

Unfortunately you still are.
Most of us would definately like that to change... and it probably is... but
it's happening slowly...

/Robert