[linux-audio-user] recording delay in Ardour...

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Wed Oct 8 12:23:00 EDT 2003

Hi Mark:

  I think you raise some good points. They've been raised before, maybe
many times over the last few years, but they do indicate how far we
still have to go before the average *musician* will forsake his Win/Mac
tools for the Linux kit. As another "odd man out", I really don't worry
much about it, probably because most of my music-making is still done as
a live performer with tools like a guitar, a PA, and my voice, along
with other live players (the dead ones never make the gigs ;). I don't
use the computer on my jobs, nor do I plan to.

  However, obviously a lot of people would like to make Linux their
music-making platform of choice, but our current lack of GUI sex appeal
and the general attitude of "Linux is still a bit too difficult for me"
work against a swelling of the ranks in Linux audio *users*. It's
probably safe to say that at this time most of the active users _are_
the developers. I like the visionary aspect of it all, but I know that
the majority of computer-based music-makers are utterly non-interested
in becoming developers (as you say, you'd rather develop music than
software). Linux audio developers might best be considered as the
architects of a foundation for a wonderful future, which is hardly
consolation for the average musical Joe who wants to turn on, tune in,
and rock *now*.

  All that being said, I am very impressed with the whole JACK
development strategy, the evolution of Ardour, Csound going LGPL,
Kjetil's vstserver, Steve Harris's LADSPA plugins, Miler's awesome PD,
PlanetCCRMA/AGNULA, and even some of the newer Linux softsynths. IMO
we're already far beyond the "toy" stage and we're moving forward at a
respectable rate. Much of the available Linux audio software is usable
right now, though there is indeed still a long path ahead before it
attains the transparency that Win/Mac users are accustomed to.

  Anyway, I'm rambling. Sinus infection, wrecked laptop, hard-disk
failure, bad tooth, WINE headaches... maybe I'll just switch back to
Win98 and end it all... ;)

  [OT] Btw, has anyone else noted that if Arnie becomes governor of CA,
that'll make two members of the original cast of "Predator" who have
become state governors ? Who knows, maybe Carl Weathers is next... :)

Best,

== dp