[linux-audio-user] recording delay in Ardour...

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 8 23:03:01 EDT 2003

>On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 00:25, Rick Taylor wrote:
>> Mark Knecht <markknecht at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Reaktor
>>
>>  ftp://www.slabexchange.org/pub/audio/bristol-0.9.1-linux-glibc.tar.bz2
>>
>>  {Ok... so it's not Reaktor}
>>
>>  He's not got any real info on his pages for it... I'm saving you a step.

>Yes, I've used it, but it's not even in the same game, much less the
>same league. I think the much more similar might be something more like
>AMS, which I admit I haven't used. It looks quite good though.

 The concept is close. :} And it is a linux package.

>It does raise an interesting point for me though. The reason I went with
>Reaktor Session and not Reaktor is that I do NOT want to program sounds.
>I just wanted to get a bunch of preprogrammed synths and find some new
>sounds that I could use, which I was able to do in about 10 minutes of
>installation.
>
>The neat thing (for me anyway) about Reaktor is the on-line user
>contributed library of about 1500 prebuilt synths that come with, on
>average, maybe 10 preprogrammed patches. That's a lot of stuff to get on
>day one. Why isn't something like that happening in the Linux soft synth
>area? Instead of having so many soft synths, which seems more a focus on
>writing software, why not more sounds for some existing soft synth,
>which seems more a focus on making music?

 It seems to me that a concerted effort towards a consistent linux sound
development system is what we need. ...Rather than more editors... some effort
needs to go into making existant editors and sequencers more usable, more
extensible, more easily extensible and more compatible... with "parts" that can
move between them.

 {like plugins but this might also apply to interface elements and libraries
{like ReaKtor and like vst and synthedit and studioware.} ...things that users
can mix and match and build with to put together a whole music development
system of their own}

 As far as I'm concerned making sounds is part and parcel of making electronic
music. I don't have any problem with that. {I have a problem with keeping them
organized {for me an ideal system might be based on a file manager}} I need
synths to create sequences and manipulate sound files. {As I've mentioned in the
past... I have more sounds than I can deal with {almost all original. most
needing to be "finished", properly looped, etc. {I've taken a few major hits in
that regard due to our recent windows virus plague, a few script kiddies and
some related hardware failures {if my video editor locks up it takes the system
out with it {sometimes literally} in recent months {I'm out 4 {possibly six
{all of them full}} hard drives since around May}

>I think we Linux soft synth users should try to make that happen.

 We need organization, standards, a "drag and drop" mid level development system
{Like Reaktor or synthedit} and easy distribution {I'd suggest something
distributed like gnutella or turbosquid but I think it needs to be up 24/7 and
centralized {and organized}}. Stuff like sample libraries, soundfonts, etc could
be easier for folk that don't have time or are otherwise engaged. Dselect
and debian packages would be ideal

 Yeah... "music" needs to be the focus.