[linux-audio-user] SYSEX dumping/receiving in linux?

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Wed Oct 8 23:32:00 EDT 2003

> afaik there is no explicit support for it.

as I'm googling around, I've read a couple of things about being able to do
cat <sysexfilename> >/dev/midi00

but that has not yet worked :)

> you didnt say what synths you are using, but any realtime
> midi sequencer should be able to just record the sysex
> for later playback back into the synth. I no longer have
> any outboard synths so i cant test, but worth a try if you
> havnt already...

actually right now I'm trying to dump qcard (programs, aka patches, aka
instruments aka sounds baby :) ) sysex files into an alesis s4 (the
quadrasynth rack mount version) - it's the S4, not the S4 plus - which makes
it a bit old :)  so I have .SYX files - in cakewalk, I would go to the sysex
screen, and choose import, and import the .syx file into its sort of buffer,
and then just choose send, and the S4 would wake up and do a little dance and
then the info would be there...

I also stumbled upon mention of DOS emulation that would allow running of DOS
applications - that tickles my fancy because my preferred sequencer has been
Cakewalk 5.0 for DOS for almost ever :)