[linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools (long!)

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 9 05:15:01 EDT 2003

Rob <lau at kudla.org> wrote:
>On Thursday 09 October 2003 02:13, Rick Taylor wrote:
>> Jonathan Segel <jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com> wrote:

>> >immediately realized that the makers of the linux desktop gui
>> >environments were coming from PC backgrounds! almost all
>> > remind me of
>>  How you missed gnome, kde, etc is beyond me.
>
>In fact, both GNOME and KDE in their out of the box
>configurations might look a whole lot like Windows to a Mac
>user... though I have to admit I'm surprised yellowdog didn't
>set up a more familiar looking default (maybe to avoid legal
>threats from Apple, but they do exist.)
>
>Both have a context menu on the top left and minimize, maximize,
>close on the right, for example, and the widgets tend to be a
>lot more "metal with highlight and shadow" than either OS9 or
>OSX.  Again, that sort of thing can be tweaked with themes but
>last I knew, Mac users don't get into themes quite as much as
>Linux or Windows users.

 I'm using kde with icewm on this system. You can set it up any way you like
{tho' right now that's pretty similar to windows {riscos windows with the b3
style and strangely enough... the osx icon pack. :}}}

 There are clones of Aqua for just about everything... It would be fairly easy
to emulate osx pretty closely.

 I think I'm going to go with GNUstep on my debian system and in HURD {same
system {drive} actually}}. I found a bunch of OpenStep apps the other day that
have been ported to it {Mach}. With a little tweaking it should make for a nice
NEXT/OSX/linux/OpenStep hybrid.