[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

Luke Yelavich luke at audioslack.com
Thu Oct 9 08:52:01 EDT 2003

At 08:55 PM 9/10/2003, Robert Jonsson wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm pretty sure I've read that APIC is a no no and should be avoided.

I can vouch for this. My BIOS allows me to set IRQs for PCI slots. Having
read the information linked to, I set up my soundcard to sit on IRQ 9. My
BIOS was originally set to APIC, so at that stage, I left it.

Linux didn't have a problem, and left the card where it was, but when I
used Windows, things were totally stuffed. Windows had the hide to move the
card to an APIC IRQ of 22, giving bad latency, and clicks and pops, with
both ASIO and kernel streaming.

Unfortunately, Windows doesn't allow one to simply change the BIOS setting
to PIC. You have to re-install Windows for it to use that. Even then
Windows decided to share the IRQ with something else.

Interesting enough, even with APIC support compiled into the kernel, Linux
did no such thing with the IRQs.

I would personally suggest avoiding ACPI as well. IMO it is very much a
waste of resources.

Luke

Luke Yelavich
AudioSlack Founder and main package maintainer
Audio software packaged for the Slackware Linux Distribution
http://www.audioslack.com
luke at audioslack.com