[linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools (long!)

Reuben Martin MartinR at jbu.edu
Thu Oct 9 11:15:01 EDT 2003

>I'm probably showing off my inexperience here, but what about SGI?  I
>thought all the Silicon Graphics stuff had been ported to Linux and
>Linux was becoming the OS of choice for Hollywood DM people who used
>to rely on SGI because it's Unix-based, and all that.  Is that not
>true?

It is true that lots of the major pipelines, especially ones heavily into CGI work, are turning to Linux systems. However, most or them are the huge industry powerhouses (Pixar, Dreamworks etc) who have their own in house software and developement. They are just simply porting their software over to Linux. So even though they are proving that Linux works as an excellent OS for media production, very little of the apps they use are available to the public. And of course they are willing to get their hands dirty... :o)

Reguards,
-Reuben