[linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools (long!)

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Oct 9 13:14:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:56:53 -0500, Reuben Martin wrote
> >I'm probably showing off my inexperience here, but what about SGI?  I
> >thought all the Silicon Graphics stuff had been ported to Linux and
> >Linux was becoming the OS of choice for Hollywood DM people who used
> >to rely on SGI because it's Unix-based, and all that.  Is that not
> >true?
>
> It is true that lots of the major pipelines, especially ones heavily
> into CGI work, are turning to Linux systems. However, most or them
> are the huge industry powerhouses (Pixar, Dreamworks etc) who have
> their own in house software and developement. They are just simply
> porting their software over to Linux. So even though they are
> proving that Linux works as an excellent OS for media production,
>  very little of the apps they use are available to the public. And
> of course they are willing to get their hands dirty... :o)

Most of the major cg companies in London are now using linux in day to day
production. It's the main desktop OS for everybody except office staff.
This said, a lot (if not all) of the users (animators/modellers/r&d
programmers etc) come from a unix (SGI) background and arent scared of the odd
commandline task. :)

dave