[linux-audio-user] More MIDI/sysex dump/sequencers...

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Fri Oct 10 10:00:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 02:12:54AM -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:
> > i'm not saying the situation is good, but i cant see a good
> > argument for integrating this functionality into a 'sequencer'.
> > I think many people would say that creating bloated monolithic
> > apps was the wrong direction to go in.
> >

> Well, if he needs this functionality in a sequencer, then maybe he needs to
> send sys-ex in real-time, in which it would be mighty convenient to have it
> in the sequencer. But then of course you need replacable parameters, etc.

that isnt what he was asking about, but i agree, the ability
to be able to edit parameters either graphically or in a list
is pretty essential.

i just think librarian features should be kept separate.

> Or even if it's just downloading in bulk before the sequence starts, I can't
> see why you _wouldn't_ want this capability in the sequencer.  Why make more
> work for the user?

yes its a nice feature, but Linux doesnt have enough developers to
support everything one might like. I'm anti 'bloated monoliths' for
many reasons:
1-developer time is a precious resource.
  Rosegarden Chris has already been distracted by this thread
  when he possibly has more useful things to do.
2-development of linux audio is current done in v small teams.
  I dont see this as a disadvantage as long as it is recognised
  and strategy planned accordingly.
3-advanced features are useless if the app segfaults at the drop of
  a hat. This is best acheived by them being small.
4-personally i dont beleive that large apps are good for the user.
  it makes them lazy. Very high quality low level tools exist already
  and i think it makes sense to use them. Eg i will always use a text
  editor to complete a job if possible. Similarly i will always
  use a filemanager or bash for file operations, possibly with drag n
  drop, rather than some half baked dialogue box. Its more flexible,
  encourages skills development, has a longer lifespan, and may even
  be faster in the shortterm.
5-others :-)

"...for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens
downwards... Water shapes its course according to the nature of the
ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in
relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains
no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He
who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby
succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain."
Sun Tzu. 400BC.

But i'm just brainstorming and lacking in sleep. I could be wrong...:-)

cheers
--
Tim Orford