[linux-audio-user] RE: [PlanetCCRMA] snd-hdsp module load failed???

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Oct 10 17:21:00 EDT 2003

> Hello - maybe someone can help
>
> I have this problem - all of a sudden when I boot up, my HDSP9652
> sound module
> won't load - a big red FAILED is shown - it was working yesterday
> - here's
> what I've got (some of you already know this ;) ), and what I changed:

Hey there HDSP buddy,

   I mentioned the other day (somewhere on some list) that there were a few
things I wanted Thomas to look at, but I didn't want to ask before he got
the big patch he was working on into CVS. Do you remember me saying that?;-)
You just found one of them.

   I get this periodically. I just reboot my box, sometimes warm, and
sometimes cold, and it comes back. The worst I've seen is two boots.

   I have no idea why it happens, but it has on my machine.

   Also, don't be too worried if one of these days you have booted the
machine, and maybe you've used audio for a while, and then machine sits for
a few hours, and then you come back to find out you cannot start hdspmixer.
You Alt-Ctrl-F1 into the console only to find a message about 'No HDSP cards
found'. This one is quite strange. It's like the modules get loaded, not
used, and deleted. I know Fernando has some instructions about turning off
auto-clean, which I thought I did, but possibly Gentoo is a bit different in
that respect.

   I wanted Thomas to look at that, presuming I didn't find a solution
first.

   Other things you might stumble on to include some problem with the spdif
input on the card getting disconnected only if hdspmixer is left open. I can
play my guitar for hours through that input if I first close hdspmixer, but
only for a minute or two with it open. However, if I change the spdif input
to professional or some other setting, the input comes back for another two
minutes... Weird 'eh? ;-)

   And then we have this weekend's testing job if you've followed Nick
Arnold's thread about his pseudo 96KHz problem where some bytes are out of
order. That would truly effect both you and I, if it turns out to be true.

   This driver works, but we ain't at 1.0 yet. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark