[linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Benjamin Flaming lau at solobanjo.com
Sun Oct 12 07:31:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:32:41 +0200
Mathias Lundgren <mathias_lundgren at bredband.net> wrote:

> I think it would be worth lots to have a great showcase of things created with
> only free software. To actually have a bunch of living proof that shows what
> is actually possible to do, in the current state of linux audio software.
> High quality stuff (I guess one could argue a lot about what high quality
> stuff is, though). That speaks stronger to the "ordinary music lover" than a
> list of technical features of programs and file formats. I wish that all the
> audio apps would put up links to GOOD stuff actually produced using the apps.
> Not just "this is a sound created by a sine wave, a resonance filter and
> yaddayaddayadda" (even though I find such things cool, myself). Or perhaps
> (horrible thought), there isn't any such stuff? Are we actually only using
> the software to create "Absolute Sinus x" over and over again? Most of my
> audio friends seem to think that. I would love to prove them wrong.

I have to agree.  I have heard a few dozen tracks made with Linux software, and while they certainly possess artistic and technical merit, I didn't hear anything that I wanted to listen to a second time.  IMHO, until we produce at least a few examples of music which could be released by a major label, we simply will *not* be taken seriously.

The good news is that most of the tools are in place now, and I suspect that there are a lot of people (like me) who are motivated to create commercially viable art with Linux, but are in the process of discovering and exploring these tools right now.  I think a lot of new people are coming into the Linux audio community these days, some of them undoubtedly with extensive studio recording and music production backgrounds, and it is my hope that as they become familiar with the tools over the next year or so, we'll begin to see a proliferation of high-quality Linux-made recordings. :)