[linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Oct 12 13:57:01 EDT 2003

What, exactly, do you mean by music that could be released by a major
label?  That really has nothing to do with the tools used to record,
mix, and master the music.  It has to do with the music and the
performers.  It also has to do with how the song was mixed and
mastered.  The tools are available in Linux to do this.  I'm waiting for
Ron Parker to wade in on this subject since he is running a working
studio.  Check out http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/gmc2.ogg.  This
is sort of a blues tune.  Bruce Iglauer at Alligator Records (largest
blues label in the world) liked it.  I don't think he really cared what
it was recorded, mixed, or mastered on.  Unfortunately, as with all
bands, that one folded due to it's own internal problems.  If you want
to find some music done with Linux you need to check out Dave Phillips'
Linux Sound and MIDI page - http://linux-sound.org/.  Specifically the
Linux Music On-line section.

Jan